Book: Game Design Workshop

Posted by Sofie W On 0 comments

Game Design Workshop: A Playcentric Approach To Creating Innovative Games
By Tracy Fullerton



After Marie-Claire recommended this as one of the main books to buy I went out and got it for myself and I'm so glad I did. It's such a good book, it covers almost everything you could possibly want to know about the Game Design process. I personally love the way the author refers to game designers as 'she'. This just backed up my passion to be more involved in what modern day society classifies as a 'man's world'. At this present moment I am about half way through the book, I've used sticky post-it notes to pick out important parts of the book I think will be useful for me not just now but in the future. What's especially good about this book is the challenges it sets. It gets you so much more involved and they say that nothing is better for learning than doing it yourself! From the pages I've read I'm going to randomly flick through and pick a challenge...


Exercise 2.3: Objectives. List five games, and in one sentence per game, describe the objective in each game.



  1. Solitaire - Sorting all the cards in the correct order as quick as possible.
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Finish the campaign as an American Soldier during the Cold War.
  3. Fifa 11 - Get more goals than the opposing team.
  4. Snake - Survive for as long as possible.
  5. Pacman - Collect all the beads before the ghosts get to you or you lose all your lives.
At some point I'm going to go through the challenges in more depth and find more relevant ones to my personal learning but for now I'm just interested in finishing reading it.